There are two parts to the venue liaison role: venue selection, and then the actual liaison part. These need not be the same person.
If you are running 2 consecutive conventions at the same Venue it is essential to co-ordinate this effort with the other years as to avoid swapping banquet orders or cancelling the other years Masquerade order instead of your own.
CSC has a body of expert knowledge to help with venue selection.
To Identify a suitable Venues that meets the needs of the conventions and most/all of its members/attendees needs and expectations.
To then negotiate with these venues for a good contract and works for both parties and fosters an ongoing relationship with the venue, as there are only a few venue's suitable for swancon ongoing replationships are important to the conventions continuation.
To Liaise with the venue to run the convention.
What should you expect, how long, how many hours, how many meetings
What stages should this task go through
- remaining in contact with the venue (even when their liaison person changes, which is common over a 1- to 2-year period);
- ironing out misunderstandings and/or disagreements beforehand (particularly if their personnel have changed);
- keeping an eye on how many accommodation rooms are left and keeping the Swancon community appraised of this (particularly when they're starting to run low);
- making sure we're paying deposits and progress payments on time as needed;
- working with the Program Coordinator on a hotel briefing on room requirements / resets / etc;
- helping the venue to understand us (if you give us big enough rubbish bins we'll be tidy; we'll be noisy at rooms parties; we won't trash the place);
- at the convention, being the focal point from the venue's perspective, when they e.g. want to complain about room parties etc.
Tools and Resources
- Swancon Email address: email@example.com
Who is required, how many, and what skills.
- Generate a list of possible venues 2 years out
- Visit venues and assess (AV, Accessibility, Programming, etc)
- Negotiate Contracts
- Select and Sign the best contract
- Pay installments as required
- Maintain communications
- Create a Banquet order
- Finalise Banquet order
- Ensure Venue setup goes smoothly and issues are addressed quickly
- Communicate with the venue during the event regarding any concerns either party has and address where possible
- Close account with the Venue and organise an final payments
Conclusion and Notes
Who do you contact for help, list previous Personnel? Jack