Slashcon is a mini-convention held once or twice a year at the Fairbridge, just outside of Perth.
What is Slashcon?
Slashcon is the irregular Western Australian convention held in celebration of "slash" fanworks, ie. homoerotic fanfiction, songvids and fan art.
Slash is named for the virgule punctuation which indicates a romantic pairing: Kirk/Spock or Xena/Gabrielle. The majority of slash fans are women, although people of other genders are welcome to attend slashcon as long as they are pro transformative works and gay equality.
Slashcon was first proposed and organised by Elaine Kemp, with assistance from Cathy Cupitt, in September 2005.
Held at Fairbridge Village, 16-18 July 2010. Guest of Honour: James Butterworth
Held at Fairbridge Village, 20-22 June 2008. First Guest of Honour: angstslashhope.
Advertising flyer posted on slashgropers (22 April 2008).
Held at Fairbridge Village, 5-7 May 2006.
- 8pm Discussion: Share your shiny new and rare fandoms, or just your latest hot button.
- 9pm Reading: extract from Elaine’s upcoming novel.
- 10pm Reading circle (bring your favourite slash stories, or your own slash stories to read aloud).
- 10am The relevance of slash to queer identity (Sandy, Fee)
- 11am Workshop: Art (Elaine)
- Noon Workshop: Icons (Jenna)
- 1pm Lunch
- 2:30pm The joys of het (Elaine, Cathy)
- 3:30pm Workshop: Beta Reading (Fee)
- 4:30pm Creating Canon (Jenny)
- 5:30pm Workshop: Turning Brainstorming into Plot (Cathy)
- 6:30pm Dinner
- 8:30pm Sister Slash of Perpetual Indulgence (Elaine)
- 9:30pm Reading circle (bring your favourite slash stories, or your own slash stories to read aloud)
- 10am Discussion: What makes a fandom an uber-fandom (Stargate: Atlantis, Harry Potter)?
Held at Fairbridge Village, 17-18 September 2005.
- 2pm How much genre do you like in your slash?
- 3pm Workshop: Vidding (Erika)
- 4pm Workshop: Erotica Writing (Elaine)
- 5pm Workshop: Icons (Jenna)
- 6pm Break for dinner
- 8pm Kinks and squicks
- 9pm Reading circle (bring your favourite slash stories, or your own slash stories to read aloud)
- 10am Workshop: Erotica Writing (Cathy)
- 11am The fandom that ate slash—Stargate: Atlantis