2016 Natcon BM agenda
This article details the Agenda for the Business Meeting of the 55th Australian National Science Fiction Convention (the Natcon in 2016) to take place at Contact 2016 in Perth, in the South Stradbroke Room of the Hotel Jen, 159 Roma Street, Brisbane, QLD, at 9.00am, Monday, 28 March, 2016.
1. Confirmation of the Minutes of the Previous Meeting.
2. Business Arising from the Previous Meeting.
3. Natcon Standing Committee Report
4. Site Selection for the 2018 National Convention
5. Ditmar Subcommittee report
6. Convention Reports
- a. 2015 – Swancon 40
- b. 2016 – Contact 2016
- c. 2017 - Continuum 13
7. Selection of the Standing Committee
8. Motions on Notice
- That in 3.11 of the rules, all occurrences of "recognised award" be replaced with "national or international award",
so that 3.11 reads:
- 3.11 New Talent: This award recognises excellence of achievement in any field of the genre by an individual who has never been nominated for a national or international award, or has only been nominated for a national or international award in one or both of the two calendar years prior to the year for which they are a Best New Talent nominee. Recognized awards include but are not limited to: Australian SF ("Ditmar"), Aurealis, Hugo and Nebula Awards. Once nominated, an individual may only be nominated once more, in the year following the first nomination.
- Proposed: Peter Lyons
- Previously it has been enough to be nominated for a local convention award
(such as the Chronos or the Tin Duck) to eventually disqualify you from a New Talent nomination. This serves to eliminate potential awardees before they have gained sufficient recognition to receive nominations for the Ditmars.
9. General Business
- All positions on the Standing Committee of the Natcon Business Meeting will be up for re-election by the meeting.
- All bids for the 2018 Australian National Science Fiction Convention should be received by the Business Meeting chair Julian Warner before the start of the meeting, and representatives of the bid should be prepared to address the meeting.