2019 Ditmar preliminary ballot
PLEASE DO NOT EDIT THIS ARTICLE WITHOUT AUTHORISATION FROM THE DITMAR SUBCOMMITTEE.
This article details the preliminary ballot for the Australian SF ("Ditmar") Awards for 2018, to be awarded at the 2019 Australian National SF Convention, Continuum 15 in Melbourne.
Interested and knowledgeable persons are encouraged to check the ballot and respond urgently by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with details of any apparent discrepancies. It is possible that the content of this preliminary ballot may differ from the final ballot.
The following section details the contents of the preliminary ballot. (Note that the final ballot will include a "No Award" option in each category.
- Devouring Dark, Alan Baxter, Grey Matter Press.
- The Subjugate, Amanda Bridgeman, Angry Robot.
- Faerie Apocalypse, Jason Franks, IFWG Publishing Australia.
- City of Lies (Poison Wars 1), Sam Hawke, Tom Doherty Associates.
- The Beast's Heart, Leife Shallcross, Hodder & Stoughton.
- Tide of Stone, Kaaron Warren, Omnium Gatherum.
Best Novella or Novelette
- "Triquetra", Kirstyn McDermott, in Triquetra, Tor.com.
- "Cabaret of Monsters", Tansy Rayner Roberts, in Cabaret of Monsters, The Creature Court.
- "The Dragon's Child", Janeen Webb, in The Dragon's Child, PS Publishing.
Best Short Story
- "The Art of Broken Things", Joanne Anderton, in Mother of Invention, Twelfth Planet Press.
- "A Man Totally Alone", Robert Hood, The Mammoth Book of Halloween Stories: Terrifying Tales Set on the Scariest Night of the Year!, Skyhorse Publishing.
- "The Heart of Owl Abbas", Kathleen Jennings, in Tor.com.
- "Junkyard Kraken", D.K. Mok, in Mother of Invention, Twelfth Planet Press.
Best Collected Work
- Sword and Sonnet, edited by Aidan Doyle, Rachael K. Jones and E. Catherine Tobler, Ate Bit Bear.
- Mountains of the Mind, Gillian Pollack, Shooting Star Press.
- Mother of Invention, Rivqa Rafael and Tansy Rayner Roberts, Twelfth Planet Press.
- A Hand of Knaves, Leife Shallcross and Chris Large, CSFG Publishing.
- Tales from the Inner City, Shaun Tan, Allen & Unwin.
- Cover art, Likhain, for Mother of Invention, Twelfth Planet Press.
- Cover and internal illustrations, Shauna O'Meara, for A Hand of Knaves, CSFG Publishing.
Best Fan Publication in Any Medium
- Earl Grey Editing, Elizabeth Fitzgerald.
- Pratchat, Elizabeth Flux, Ben McKenzie, Splendid Chaps Productions.
- SF Commentary, Bruce Gillespie.
- Galactic Suburbia, Alisa Krasnostein, Alexandra Pierce, and Tansy Rayner Roberts.
Best Fan Writer
- Liz Barr, for writing in squiddishly.
- Bruce Gillespie, for writing in SF Commentary and ANZAPA articles.
Best Fan Artist
INSUFFICIENT NOMINATIONS FOR ANY FAN ARTIST
Best New Talent
- Elizabeth Fitzgerald
- Sam Hawke
- Bren MacDibble (aka Cally Black)
- Leife Shallcross
William Atheling Jr Award for Criticism or Review
- Damien Broderick, for Pscience Fiction, McFarland.
- Damien Broderick, for Consciousness and Science Fiction, Springer.
- Tansy Rayner Roberts, for Gentlewomen of the Press, Sheep Might Fly.
- Cat Sparks, for "The 21st Century Catastrophe: Hyper-capitalism and Severe Climate Change in Science Fiction" PhD exegesis.