Quiz Night Chair
This Job is in aid of Quiz Night. The Chair heads the subcommittee of up to 5 members.
What is the "reward" for this activity There is no financial reward, but the satisfaction of knowing you are raising funds for the convention and creating a fun event for the community.
What should be achieved
What should you expect to be supplied
What resources exist to help with this. Ticketbooth, Dropbox/GoogleDrive, Website, Twitter.
What should you deliver during/after this task
Tasks that need to be completed (dot point)
- Choose and lead a subcommittee of up to five members
- Facilitate and oversee all meetings
- Organise a budget taking into account door price, minimising prices through borrowed/free gear equipment, and float
- Choose a date and venue
- Liaise with the venue to organise event details and pay deposit if needed.
How to do the tasks
Leading the subcommittee
- Ensure they meet their tasks in a timely manner. Keep these as the primary contributors to the Quiz Night, anyone else in the SwanCon committee can help by attending quiz/bringing friends/organising food on the night etc.
- Ensure to attend and oversee all meetings and be the main point of contact for all subcommittee members.
Picking a date and venue
- Consider day – Thursday / Friday / Saturday nights preferable, Saturday / Sunday day for family friendly events
- Consider date – Time of year – what is around that time; any conventions? Screenings? Other events?
- Consider location – RAAFA is $50 to use IF you can get Tony there
Questions to ask venue
- When can we arrive, leave by?
- What is the occupancy? (both in total numbers and how many chairs / tables)
- After making booking reconfirm with e-mail, and then reconfirm again
- Call the week before to remind them
- Work out payment – do they need a deposit? Do they accept cheque?
- Ask if the manager is going to be there on the night? If not – who is in charge?
- Ask how they want the room to be left – as we found it? Or chairs stacked on tables / chairs and tables stacked in the corner for cleaning?
- What are the food options – if you are in a licensed venue, do they have dinner options? If not do they mind outside food / pizza delivery?
- Are under 18's allowed inside with or without a guardian?
- Have a clear / realistic budget and make sure you adhere to it – items to consider are; paper, pens, prizes, gear (PA/projector) and venue
- Consider the door price when coming up with this budget. Make realistic expectation on income / expenses so you can make at least a minimum profit
- Minimizing expenses – some businesses will give you paper and pens with their logo on it. You can borrow electrical gear (just ask around) which can lower the expenses
- Venue PA – if the venue has electrical gear, its a good idea to check it out / have a backup. You don't want to get to the night and discover it not working. Also ask if there is an extra cost to use gear
- Float – Make sure you collect the float the week before, and consider the cost of the quiz to what you bring (e.g. $15 entry means you need lots of $5s)
Conclusion and Notes
Who do you contact for help, list previous Personnel?